Google has acquired DoubleClick for $3.1bn, Double click is an Ad company working with Advertisers and Publishers in Ad business. They developed a DART product respectively for Advertisers and Publishers to help target and manage campaigns to meet their respective goals.
Google is already a leader in Targeted Advertising both Text Ad/Image Ad display. They have great products such as Adwords & Adsense for Advertisers & Publishers respectively; this technology is for anybody and requires little or no human involvement from Google’s end.
The main question is why did Google Acquire DoubleClick? Some of the reasons I can think for are:
1) Google took inspiration from Overture to build an Ad system to display relevant text ads based on search terms. They built a system and revolutionized it in a big way. Now they might be thinking of repeating the history again with DoubleClick. DoubleClick has DART, which Google might want to make it enormously scalable for anybody to just plug and play. They might want to keep the human intervention to the minimum level and let technology work the maximum, mainly to reduce cost which ultimately benefits the end user.
2) The Ad business is growing at a rapid rate, with internet overtaking Radio and competing with Print. Ad Agency business is really on the rise. Google wants to have a share of that pie too. It not just wants to be a medium to offer and manage inventory, they would also want to actively work with advertisers and publishers to meet their end goals & take major share of the pie.
3) Most Agencies managing Ad business apart from few good ones do not have long term satisfied customers. Most companies are looking for more accountability and reliability from Agencies. Google is more trusted than anyone in the online industry.
4) Google being the leader in the Online Ad selling; its move towards vertical integration is very natural.
Google would be using its technological expertise in combination with DoubleClick’s business acumen & client servicing capabilities to reach it goals.
Yahoo has in acquired Right Media to be able to compete evenly with Google.com. To state another interesting acquisition is Google acquiring Performics, since Performics is a part of DoubleClick. Performics is a company that sells SEO services to its clients. So, formally Google has acquired a SEO Company, I am sure its business would increase whether Google actually supports it or not.
What will Google do with Performics is yet to be seen….
Youtube has recently run into series of Copyright issues from CBS to Viacom. Dr. Eric Schmidt in many occasions says Youtube user who views videos (copyrighted material) is a fan, word derived from the word fanatic. Hence companies can sell anything to these fans as they are at high interest and willingness level to accept anything from the advertiser. My belief is this argument is just to defend the usage and distribution of copyrighted material; however his point still holds credibility.
Here are some of my suggestions on how Youtube can win both companies’ as well as users popularity.
1) Discriminate the content on Youtube as User generated, Copyrighted.
2) Make deals with TV channels to publish Youtube’s user generated videos on TV program’s such as Top videos of the week. Top funny videos etc.. This would encourage people to post personal videos as viewer ship increases.
3) Ask big brands to purchase users videos which become popular. For example Nike could copyright popular user videos on football etc…
4) Reward the users whose videos get selected for TV broadcast or get Branded. These videos will be of course original videos
5) Distribute & publish popular Youtube videos across various other sites on Internet
From Advertisers Perspective:
1) Display Image Ads & Text Ads beside videos of similar theme.
2) Advertising costs are higher for Ads showing alongside videos that generate high volume of traffic
3) Upload advertiser’s videos which are displayed alongside popular videos of similar content.
Yahoo Pipes is definitely the most innovative product to be released in major scale in recent times.
This is a tool using which you can generate customized content by mixing RSS feeds in any order. You could send the output of one feed as input source into another.
For example you could create customized Pipes to suit your users needs and generate content that can be very useful to your audience. Hence can be a great value addition to your auidence.
Create a new section in your website where you can extract data from various related websites and create mashups and throw results to users. This data can be published on new web pages. This will help generate new unique fresh content not available anywhere on Internet and getting refreshed regularly.
Another way is to send these mashups again as RSS feeds which can be subscribed by users. These can be tracked and monitored to know its performance.
This is a wonderful tool for bloggers, webmasters who are constantly looking for fresh content to be published on their sites.
If you own a huge sites having traffic in millions you would definitely have an idea of the exact needs of your end users. These can met by creating mashups to generate most popular data users are looking for on your site. Hence you could increase the stickiness of the website.
This would be of major help to Technology NEWS sites, Real Estate Sites & all major Web 2.0 sites.